Stone Discover is one of the largest suppliers/exporters of black galaxy granites which is a source of nature made of the highest quality with a high level of durability from wear and tear, in addition to being resistant to scratches and chipping. Some name it by star galaxy and few by Galaxy black. The name itself suggests it has an appearance star inside a galaxy-like structure.
Black galaxy granite is in the granular intrusive rocks family and is sourced from the southern part of India. The granite material is considerably harder than any other material in the market and rated a 4.5-6.5 on Moh’s scale of hardness. This granite is strong enough to withstand most common use and requires minimal maintenance.
Black Galaxy Granite is a fine to medium-grained, black gabbroic anorthosite of the Precambrian period with golden-yellow sparkling bronzite scales. This stone internationally may be nominated as a granite but around the application of the European Standard, this stone must be nominated as a gabbro.
The veining and colour can vary therefore a small sample of Black Galaxy granite may not be representative of the whole slab consequently swatch samples must be approved for large projects to ensure that the blocks are all extracted from the same quarry face for matching purposes.
During the polishing process a clear epoxy resin filler may be used to fill any micro fissures or tiny pitting however this does not affect the integrity of the stone, it merely provides an even smoother surface finish. Black Galaxy granite is suitable for both interior and exterior use furthermore is frost resistant and with a constant polish.
Black Galaxy Granite Durability
It is very hard-wearing, very durable and highly moisture resistant with a low maintenance cost however when used as a flooring material in high traffic areas, like all flooring materials, it can be subject to scratching from road and pavement dust and the worst of all is sand dust and that will influence any surface!
Black Galaxy Granite Types
Not all Black Galaxy granite is the same and different markets prefer different types. The gold specks are due to the presence of ferrous-rich Enstatine (Bronzite) and can be broadly divided into three types based on the size of the gold-coloured specks:
- Large-grained Black Galaxy (a.k.a. Popcorn)
2. Medium-grained Black Galaxy
3. Small-grained Black Galaxy
The distribution of the Galaxy grains is also a determining price factor and very much a personal choice. When heavily veined Black Galaxy granite is available it is usually known as Starburst Galaxy granite. Plus, Black Galaxy granites can have slightly varying background colours thus making it extremely difficult trying to match supplies from different quarries
- Dark Black
- Dark with a Greenish/Black tinge
- Dark with a Whiteish/Black background
Some Black Galaxy granites may require an epoxy resin application since they may appear to have a slightly open veining. The integrity of the granite is not affected by the epoxy applied solely for a visual effect to give it the smooth finish demanded by many purchasers. It is most unlikely that any type of sealer can successfully be applied to Black Galaxy granite.
Black Galaxy Granite Quality Standards
Grading standards for Black Galaxy Granite are generally accepted to be as follows:
- Black Galaxy Q1 First Choice: Slabs and tiles clean of any visible veining
2. Black Galaxy Q2 Standard Quality: Slabs and tiles with one or two visible veins known as mergeable lines.
3. Black Galaxy Granite Q3 Commercial Quality: Slabs and tiles with two, three or more visible veins known as mergeable lines.
These lines do not affect the integrity of the material and are usually only visible from behind or very close up.
Suitable for construction projects both commercial and domestic, prefabricated countertops/worktops, vanities, tiles, backsplashes, paving, fireplaces, and memorials.
Premium Quality Slab Sizes 2cm & 3cm
Jumbo Gangsaw Slabs 3000+mm x 2000+mm (118″+ x 78″+)
Standard Slab Sizes 2cm & 3cm
- Large Gangsaw Slabs 2800mm & above x 1800mm & above (110″+ x 71″+)
- Medium Gangsaw Slabs 2800mm & above x 1400mm & above (110″+ x 55″+)
- Mini Gangsaw Slabs 2200mm & above x 1200mm & above (86″+ x 47″+)
- Vertical Cutter Slabs 2200mm & above x 600~900mm (86″+ x 24~36″+)
Granite Countertops 2cm & 3cm
Free length or made to your dimensions, standard sizes are
2400~3200 x 600/630/700/900/1000/1200/1220 x 30 mm (94~126″ x 24~48″)
50mm through to 200mm thick are cut to customer specifications,
Calibrated Tiles – Standard sizes available are:
- 305 x 305 x 10 mm (12″ x 12″ x 3/8″)
- 610 x 305 x 10 mm (24″ x 12″ x 3/8″)
- 400 x 400 x 10 mm (15 3/4″ x 15 3/4″ x 3/8″)
- 457 x 457 x 10/12 mm (18″ x 18″ x 3/8~1/2″)
- 305/400/457 mm x Free length for you to cut to length on-site, usually no longer than 2000 mm (78″)
- 600 x 600 is available however usually a minimum of 15/18/20 mm thick to ensure material stability
Black Galaxy granite looks best with a gloss polished surface but is also available as honed, leather/satin, river-washed/antique, thermal/flamed, brushed and sandblast finish. We never use colour enhancers.
Test with a small sample. It is most unlikely that a sealant can be used on Black Galaxy granite due to the very tight grain formation, attempts at sealing it could create a residue film build-up. Black Galaxy granite is from sheet bedrock quarries near Ongole.